Does CBD Have an Impact on a Person’s Appetite?
Appetite is a bodily function that we truly take for granted. We perceive our sense of appetite as the thing that lets us know when it’s time to reach for a snack. However, if it weren’t for appetite, we would likely not have been able to survive as a species for all of these years. That’s because without our sense of appetite, we wouldn’t know that our body needed food, and we would likely starve.
If you’ve ever had a bout with a serious virus like the flu, you know what it feels like to lose your appetite. Within days, you begin to lose weight because the thought of eating food repels you. Therefore, you may grasp just how important appetite is to one’s overall health.
There are many different reasons why a person may lose their appetite, ranging from stress to physical illness. What’s important is that a person is able to find a way to regain their appetite so that they can ensure that their body gets the nutrients that it needs to be in good health.
For years, cannabis has had a reputation for giving a person an increase in their appetite, and it’s commonly referred to as “the munchies.” While we usually talk about this with a sense of humor, researchers are now finding that the way in which this plant can boost the appetite can actually be used in clinical settings to help patients regain their desire to consume nutrients.
Now, did you know there is a potential link between cannabinoids and appetite? While cannabidiol (CBD) may have a positive effect on appetite, researchers are beginning to believe that Delta 9 THC – yes, that cannabinoid – may actually be more effective.
How Our Appetite Works
Our appetite is considered one of the many functions of our digestive system. Quite simply, our body cannot survive, let alone function properly, without food. Every cell in our body requires nutrients that come from food, and we require a certain number of calories to have the energy to function throughout the day.
When the body is in need of calories and nutrients, we feel a sensation in our stomachs that tells us that we are hungry. And, our salivary glands get to work, releasing extra saliva in order to aid in the digestion of what we will be eating. Meanwhile, our brain receives signals from the digestive system that we’re hungry, and even responds by increasing the sensitivity of our taste buds and olfactory glands while giving us cravings.
What Things Can Negatively Impact Our Appetite?
There are a host of ways in which we can lose our appetites.
- Stress is a common appetite suppressant, because when the body is in fight or flight mode, the digestive tract loses much of its functionality.
- Depression can also interfere with our appetite.
- Additionally, there are many physical illnesses that can cause a decrease in appetite, including fibromyalgia, cancer and a plethora of ailments that affect the digestive system.
What Complications are Associated with a Sudden Loss of Appetite?
A loss of appetite can lead to a wide range of health problems, because as we said, every bodily system needs nutrients in order to ensure our survival. Therefore, lacking certain nutrients can cause a variety of symptoms, such as a loss of energy, frequent headaches, fainting, hair loss, cardiovascular problems and a compromised immune system that results in us getting sick frequently.
A loss of appetite can also come with other symptoms. For instance, some people find that they experience nausea in addition to a loss of appetite. Others may find that they have stomach pains as well.
Could CBD Impact Your Appetite?
It makes sense that cannabidiol may have a positive effect on one’s appetite, considering the way in which CBD works with the body in general. Everybody has an endocannabinoid system, and this system controls the body’s state of homeostasis. The endocannabinoid system sends cannabinoids to cannabinoid receptors that are found throughout the body. These cannabinoids attach to these receptors, and this promotes the regulation of our many bodily systems.
Again, CBD is a cannabinoid, and so the endocannabinoid system (ECS) utilizes it to promote healing throughout the body. However, CBD is just one cannabinoid that’s found in the hemp plant. There are actually over a hundred cannabinoids, although CBD is the most abundant in hemp.
How THC May Come to the Rescue
While cannabidiol might be able to improve appetite, there is another cannabinoid that’s native to the hemp plant, and cannabis in general, that has more research behind it – Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is essentially a major psychoactive component, and thus, has been shown to have the potential to dramatically improve a person’s appetite shortly after consumption.
Now, cannabis is the plant that has a large amount of THC, while hemp contains about 0.3 percent. But, cannabis, unlike hemp, is federally illegal. However, researchers believe that even the 0.3 percent THC in hemp may be capable of improving one’s appetite thanks to the entourage effect, which refers to the way in which each cannabinoid multiplies the others’ efficacy when they’re all consumed at the same time.
How to Potentially Improve Your Appetite with Hemp
As you can see, it is hard to ignore the science behind the fact that cannabinoids like THC and CBD may be able to improve the appetite of someone who is struggling to eat. So, if you would like to reap the potential appetite-boosting benefits of hemp, you must go with a full spectrum CBD product such as:
- NAM Wellness 1000mg CBD Oil: This CBD tincture contains 1000mg of active full spectrum hemp oil, extracted directly from the highest-quality CBD hemp flower on the market. Perfect everyday use, and could help with pain, anxiety, and overall wellness.
- NAM Wellness CBD Hemp Flower: We offer pure CBD flower and hemp flower that has been infused with delta 8 as well as THCO, in a generous variety of strains to choose from.
- NAM Wellness CBD Pre-Rolled Joints: Indulge in a premium, top shelf quality CBD Hemp Flower freshly crushed Pre-Roll encased in a RAW King-Sized Cone. All of our Pre-Rolls are hand packed to ensure a nice slow and even burn. These Pre-Rolls are always made with fresh crushed CBD Hemp Flower buds and never contain trim or stems for the best quality that we can bring to you. These are perfect for on the go and available in all seven of our legendary Strains.
- Delta 9 THC Hemp Gummies: Our Top-Shelf Delta 9 THC Hemp Gummies are the perfect sweet treat to provide some seriously DEEP relaxation. These gummies contain 12mg each of premium-grade delta 9 extract.